This Month’s Recipe: Brussels Sprouts with Shrimp Sauce
September 27, 2022
This delicious family recipe was shared with us by a retired teacher in Cotulla, Texas and is perfect for autumn dinners. Salty, briny, savory dried shrimp rehydrate in hot chicken broth before cooking down into a savory glaze, yielding a quick, incredible side dish. Toast the garlic and sauté the brussels sprouts before simmering them in the glaze. It will add flavor and color while cooking the sprouts to a nutty, tender texture without getting soggy.
Pro Tip: Choose shrimp with a pinkish hue for the freshest taste.
2 to 4
- 20 dried large shrimp (about 1/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup hot chicken broth or hot water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved, larger ones cut into quarters
- 1/2 chicken bouillon cube
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Place shrimp in a small bowl. Add broth. In approximately 45 minutes, the shrimp should slight softened and rehydrate.
- Set stove to medium/low heat. In a nonstick skillet, add vegetable oil with a sprinkle of garlic. Stir for about 3 minutes or until fragrant and softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add brussels sprouts, cut sides down, in an even layer. Cook, undisturbed, until charred and golden brown on cut sides, 4-5 minutes. Stir and flip sprouts, and cook, stirring occasionally, until outer leaves are softened and turn bright green and garlic is toasted, 2-3 minutes.
- Add soaked shrimp mixture and chicken bouillon cube, breaking up bouillon with a spoon or spatula. Simmer, stirring often, until sprouts are crisp-tender and shrimp sauce loosely glazes them, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat, and season with salt to taste.
Have a recipe or cooking tip you’d like to share? Tell us below!
Looking to Capture Special Moments? Then Capture Great Deals on Cameras and Gear with AMBA Discounts
With the summer approaching, get-togethers, road trips, or vacations with friends and loved ones might be on your mind.
Seeing Signs of Alzheimer’s Through Your Eyes
We’ve all heard the expression that the eyes are a window to the soul. But a recent study has made a breakthrough
Watch Out! New Bank Scams on the Rise.
You may be familiar with the news of some recent bank failures. As a result of these events, many financial
May’s Recipe: Watermelon Salad with Arugula, Feta, & Fresh Herbs
Watermelon season starts as early as May in many places, so what better time to kick off the summer than with a delicious